Archiving Medical Records
Canadian Specialist Hospital
Canadian Specialist Hospital is one of the largest private hospitals in Dubai and has grown to become one of the most advanced and comprehensive healthcare institutions in the region. CSH's mission is to offer state-of-the-art diagnostic, curative and rehabilitative services of International standard and to render comprehensive genetic and prenatal services with evidence-based ethical healthcare for a healthy and happy community.
Canadian Specialist Hospital had a challenge with paper patient files and had to scan, index, and archive 161,000 patient medical records within three months, and make them available for retrieval on a daily basis. That includes the design and implementation of a scalable document management system that can be easily integrated with CSH's HIS in the future.
Adding to the challenge was the fact that the 161,000 medical records contained papers of different sizes, some double sided, and required a lot of separation and categorization following the hospital's structure, and some required a lot of image enhancements.
Speed, accuracy, security and high efficiency were the key objectives of the project.
The solution provided by NVSSoft in cooperation with Dubai based partners GIT, involved two products: ArcMate Enterprise Document Management System, and ArcMate Capture high volume scanning solution.
ArcMate Capture provided a workflow for high volume scanning to ensure timely progress, featuring scanning, indexing, OCR and form recognition, quality control, and release stages, while ArcMate Enterprise provided the repository where scanned documents were released along with their indexes, and the core document management and security features.
Scanning was done during working hours and the background servers of ArcMate Capture were processing OCR and Form Recognition tasks off peak hours.
Canadian Specialist Hospital was able to complete the project within the time frame, and using in-house resources, thus saving on outsourcing costs. All records were available for daily retrieval and use by the medical staff using ArcMate Enterprise.
Furthermore, using ArcMate Enterprise for on-going archiving, Canadian Specialist Hospital was able to:
- Improve internal business services.
- Provide timely access to documents.
- Centralize information between departments.
- Easily search and retrieve documents and information by Management, Doctors and Nurses.
- Increase efficiency of available resources.
- Reduce time spent on handling paper.
- Increase employee productivity.
- Reduce required manpower.
- Reduce contractor overhead.
- Provide ISO-compliant document control.
- Ensure document confidentiality/security.
- Prevent document loss.
- Reduce the amount of storage devoted to paper documents.
- Reduce storage costs.
- Reduce costs for manual document management.
- Reduce the amount of paper being used.
- Reduce the amount of money being spent on printers, copiers, and other similar devices.
- Access the system through web browser